Saturday, September 26, 2009

You know you're American when...

Finally feeling up to the club scene in Granada, my friends and I decided to check out a club called the Metro that was having an Erasmus welcome gathering on Thursday. Erasmus is a term used for European students who are studying in another European country through a government-funded program. Even though we are not Erasmus students, we are smooshed into that category almost everywhere here. We meet up around 11 or so for tapas, which were baked potatoes with radish (i think), sourcream, cheese, and corn. It was a really decent amount of food considering it was free and quite tasty.

Around 12:30 we decide to head over to the club, which when we got there at 1 no one was waiting to get in. I wasn't too surprised and was quite sure we were too early (even though the party started at 12), but we went in anyways. I was never more right in my life: there were about about 10 people total in the club, probably all Americans. There was some loud American music playing (most likely to get it out of the way so when everyone showed up they could play good music), and no one was dancing. It wasn't until 2 AM that people started showing up. Note to self: Do not arrive at party any earlier than 2 AM

The empty club :(

We still managed to have fun, singing along to some songs from our childhood, sipping on our free drinks with paid entry... Once people showed up the dancing increased and we, of course, joined in. From that moment on we danced until our feet protested enough to make us decide to go home, which was about 4 or 4:30 in the morning. As we left, it was still going strong, and we realized we definitely need to work on our clubbing-stamina.
Celia, Ashley and I in the club

Celia and I attempted the next night to go out once more, but after meeting up and finding a delicious Thai food restaurant: we realized it was colder than we first realized and Ashley had discussed going out the following night (tonight)... so we quickly decided that we couldn't afford money-wise or energy-wise to go out 3 nights in a row and parted our ways at the early hour of 1:30 in the morning. Arriving home, I felt the lack of sleep from the night before and was perfectly happy to curl up and get a good night's rest.

As I said, we had discussed going out tonight, but Ashley and Monique decided to stay in so Celia and I just walked around a bit and ended up getting dinner at a Mexican restaurant. The food was good, but nowhere near as good as the Mexican you can find in the states, let alone in Mexico (which I haven't actually had so I'm only assuming). Celia unknowingly made me try tacos in crunchy shells as I decided to order "lo mismo," or the same not realizing she had ordered crunchy shells, not soft ones. They were actually quite tasty and I may not be so against them in the future.


Celia with our free, colorful after-dinner shots at the Mexican restaurant... who needs mints?

We finished off the night with some sundaes at Café Futbol, which is actually known for their churros y chocolate. We'd already tried the churros so we went for something new this time. The sundaes were tasty, but I think next time I will stick with the churros.

Tomorrow I will be going to a bullfight here in Granada. I'm not sure how I will feel about it, but I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy it. I do feel that it is part of the culture here and its something to be experienced. I am surprised though by the number of Spaniards who do not like the bullfights and have never seen one. I actually have yet to meet a Spaniard who enjoys and supports them. I suppose I will meet a few tomorrow. It's easy to assume that by being such a popular sport, every Spaniard has at least gone to a fight, but in reality it's the same as any sport in the US, they all have fans and they all have people who can't stand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment